Adams Peak and Nuwara Eliya, Sri Lanka.


I now have updated you on the boys orphanage and Kandy.  After leaving Kandy, we headed to Adam’s Peak.  Though the distance is not far, it took us 3 buses to get to our final destination.

Upon getting off the last bus, we were greeted by at 84 year old woman who kindly showed us to our hostel.  Her English was amazing and she armed us with plenty of stories of her own personal adventures of climbing Adam’s Peak.  She has been to the top 76 times.  Astonishing.

After meeting our pals at the White House hostel (basic rooms with no hot water), we all had dinner together and exchanged usual backpacker stories about where we had been, what our plans were next and how our friends back home must think we’re crazy for taking off with a pack and saying goodbye to the real world.   Eventually the chatter of 8 young adults all in our 30s put even the dogs to sleep.  We agreed that we would all meet at 2 AM to begin our hike up to Adam’s Peak (2,500 meters, 5,000+ steps and 14 km).

At 2.30 AM we started the trek up.  The path was lighted so we could remotely see what we were doing. In retrospect, it was almost a great thing that we couldn’t see ahead of us.  Not even half way through, I asked the Buddhist monk how much longer.  His reply? Don’t think about it, just keep going!  And, so we did.

Making it up to the top was a miracle beyond belief.  A buddhist monk smacked my head twice against the concrete footprint of what is either known to be Adam’s, Buddha’s or Shiva’s.  Having left with a bruised forehead, I made my way past the pilgrims and over to a spot where I could see the most beautiful sunrise ever.  It made every step worth it and it’s a memory that I will carry with me for a lifetime.

After the trek down, where everyone’s legs were shaky, we stopped to have a cup of coffee and enjoy the view before getting back to the hostel.  Once we got back, we scarfed breakfast down and hopped on a bus with the others to make our way over to Nuwara Eliya.  We had to stand on a 2 hour bus ride (on an essentially broken down school bus) crammed with people.  It wouldn’t have been so bad if we hadn’t just climbed Adam’s Peak in the middle of the night with no sleep.  After a shaky bus ride, we were told to get off and get on another bus.  We barely made our train.   We waited patiently for 3 hours to reach our next destination.

Nuwara Eliya.  We arrived to King Fern cottage.  The owner is a Sri Lankan Rastafarian.  Our cottage is secluded in the midst of a flower garden.  It’s really tranquil here.  We spent the day exploring the city and going to the Victoria Botanical Gardens.   Those that know me, know that in each country I visit, I must see a park.  I love it.  This one was gorgeous as well.

We have been here for 2 nights and Martin has gone to a National Park this morning with a British guy.  I opted to enjoy this beautiful garden, with a cup of coffee in hand, and write a blog.  Moments like right now are few and far between.  Birds chirping, blue clear skies and the perfect weather will make leaving this place incredibly difficult.   I can’t help but also think that going broke to fund this trip has in every way been totally worth it.



One response »

  1. Love. I can’t believe that you have only been gone a month and have already done so much!!! I thoroughly enjoy reading your blogs and am living through your adventures. Enjoy every second of it! This is something that you will never forget. xoxo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s